Local Miami-Dade Data on Youth Homelessness
- In the 2017 iCount, there were a total of 165 unaccompanied homeless youth. Of this population, 34 were unsheltered between the ages of 18 to 24. Also, there were 12 sheltered youth, ages 13 to 17 and 19 sheltered youth, ages 18 to 24. To see more data from the 2017 iCount Miami, please visit the Miami Homes For All website and see 2017 iCount.
- According to Miami-Dade's Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) data, there are approximately 600 unaccompanied homeless youth in Miami-Dade County. Between HMIS and the 2017 iCount data (if unduplicated), there are about 74 unsheltered unaccompanied homeless youth. There are currently 110 youth-specific beds; of those beds, 62 are designated youth over 18, and 48 are for those under 18.
Most Recent Provider Data (as of November 2017)
- 97 youth were served by Citrus Health Network with 12 youth-designated transitional housing beds at Citrus FRAT and 12 LGBTQA+ youth-designated transitional housing beds at Citrus Safe Haven
- 390 youth were served by Camillus House with 12 youth-designated emergency beds
- 64 youth ages 17-24 and their 88 children were served by Lotus House with 5 female youth-designated beds at Lotus House
- 530 youth ages 13 to 17 were served in shelter and 71 youth served under the Runaway & Homeless Youth Program at Miami Bridge Youth and Family Services with 48 beds
- 20 former foster youth served at Casa Valentina AND Amaus House with 21 beds
- 66 youth were served by Our Kids
- 283 youth were served by Chapman Partnership
- 26 youth were served by Carrfour Supportive Housing
- 600 youth were served by Educate Tomorrow
- 58 youth were served by Pridelines/Project SAFE and the Alliance for GLBTQ Youth in the 2015 to 2016 year
- 8,000 youth were served in South Florida Behavioral Health Network’s Substance Abuse OR Mental Health Service programs as in-patients and/or out-patients.
- 900 at risk and homeless youth are currently using the Florida State Student Tuition Waiver to access
National Data on Youth Homelessness
From The National Alliance to End Homelessness:
- On a single night in 2016, nearly 36,000 unaccompanied youth were counted as homeless. Of those, 89 percent were between the ages of 18 to 24. The remaining 11 percent (or 3,824 people) were under the age of 18.
- The Alliance estimates that over the course of a year, approximately 550,000 unaccompanied youth and young adults up to age 24 experience a homelessness episode of longer than one week. More than half are under the age of 18.
- The National Center for Housing and Child Welfare states there are between 1 million and 1.7 million homeless youth who have runaway or have been asked to leave their homes.
- According to the US Department of HHS, 61.8% of homeless youth reported depression, 71.7% reported experiencing major trauma such as physical or sexual abuse, 79.5% experienced symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder for more than a month.
- According to the US Interagency Council on Homelessness, in 2014, 11-37% of former foster youth reported having experienced homeless and 1/4 to 1/2 experienced housing instability of some sort after aging out of the foster care system.
- Homeless youth are evenly male-female, although females are more likely to seek help through shelters and hotlines.
- According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, between 6% and 22% of homeless girls are estimated to be pregnant.
- 75% of homeless or runaway youth have dropped out or will drop out of school.
- Between 20% and 40% of homeless youth identify as LGBT.